My laptop was stolen, so now fiddling around with a new laptop I take my chance to switch.
Searching for a Linux brand and not sure which one to pick, I ended up with Oracle Enterprise Linux 5. Apparently this has been released in June and is downloadable via the main site http://linux.oracle.com.
Not completely sure, but in the end this is a RedHat distro (RedHat AS V5?) and Oracle released it’s software on RedHat first. Second, I can get a support license via my employer. Also I am a Oracle DBA and knowing my base (the OS where my database relies upon), is always a good thing (a database NEVER stands alone, know your surroundings !).
My laptop is a DELL D820 Latitude.
My first setup in mind is:
- A Linux distro (so now in my case, I give a try at Oracle Enterprise Linux 5)
- Oracle Database 11g EE on Oracle Enterprise Linux
- Crossover (I don’t want to switch to a virtual environment for Windows apps all the time)
- VMware Server (to have an Windows alternative at hand when I need it)
- Sonicwall VPN connection alternative/solution…?
- Bittorent, music and video (XViD and stuff)
So lets see where this gets me.
As said, I am working with a DELL D820 Latitude, so here some updates:
- The Oracle Enterprise Linux V5 version installed OK.
- This DELL D820 has widescreen and after installation the settings where not OK, so for now I resetted the resolution to 1024×786.
- Wireless doesn’t work, but I found some sites that give a little hope: